The Putnam County Educational Service Center manages the substitute teacher list for Putnam County Public Schools, as well as the PCESC.
You choose which districts you would be interested in serving on the application. You can update this list at any time by calling our office. The rates for each school can be found here.
A substitute teacher must hold a current teaching license through the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) or a Bachelors Degree in any subject area to apply for a general substitute license through ODE.
In addition to our nine local schools, we need substitute teachers in the PCESC special education and preschool classrooms. Our Early Discovery Preschool classrooms are at Columbus Grove, Continental, Ft. Jennings, Leipsic, Miller City-New Cleveland, and Ottawa-Glandorf. The PCESC special education classrooms are at Continental, Leipsic, Ottawa-Glandorf, and Pandora-Gilboa.
Paperwork for new substitute teachers must be submitted to the PCESC
in person with the required government ID.
- Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification - must present in person government identification such as drivers license and Social Security Card or Passport.
- Both BCI and FBI criminal background reports - Background reports can be done at the ESC. Please call for an appointment, 419-523-5951. If you have had them done recently (less than a year of applying) and copies are on file with ODE, we will accept a copy.
- Copy of Teaching License/Substitute Teaching License - If you have a current teaching license, we need a copy. If you hold a Bachelor's Degree and need to apply for a general substitute teaching license click here for instructions. You will need to create an OH/ID account if you do not have one. On the top of the ODE webpage, click login. The site will step you through the process. You will be required to upload your transcript in a pdf file. When prompted for a signature of organization search for IRN #049304. This will send the application to the Putnam County Educational Service Center for our electronic signature.
- Auditor of State Fraud Reporting Form - sign and date
- Confidentiality Agreement - sign and date
- Reasonable Assurance Letter - You will be required to complete this form annually.
- Professional Code of Conduct - Please print, copy, and read this document. All substitute teachers are required to follow this code of conduct. Failure to do so may result in immediate dismissal.
Substitute teacher applications are approved by the Putnam County Educational Service Center Governing Board. The Board meets at 9:00 am the second Monday of each month.
Questions about substitute teaching should be directed to Ann Niese, firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-523-5951 ext 3001.