The Putnam County Educational Service Center manages the general substitute teacher list (requires bachelor degree) for Putnam County Public Schools, as well as the Putnam County ESC. The Temporary Substitute Teaching License (non-bachelor degree) is handled by the individual school districts. Please contact the school districts directly to apply as a Temporary Substitute Teacher.
A general substitute teacher must hold a current educator license through the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) or a Bachelor's Degree in any subject area to apply for a general substitute license through ODE to be placed on the all county substitute teacher list.
In addition to our nine local schools, we need substitute teachers in the Putnam County ESC special education and preschool classrooms. Our Early Discovery Preschool classrooms are at Columbus Grove, Continental, Ft. Jennings, Leipsic, Miller City-New Cleveland, and Ottawa-Glandorf Schools. The Putnam County ESC special education classrooms are at Columbus Grove, Continental, Miller City-New Cleveland, Ottawa-Glandorf, and Pandora-Gilboa Schools.
New Substitute Teachers
Items 1-4 must be on file in order to be eligible to apply as a substitute teacher.
- Application - Please call the Putnam County ESC, 419-523-5951. Our application is online and we will email you a link. If you need a background check, we will schedule this at the same time.
- Government Identification: You must present in person government identification both drivers license and Social Security Card or Passport. We need to make the copy for your file. We will take this information when completing your background report.
- Criminal background reports - You are required to have a FBI and BCI criminal background reports on file. Background reports can be done at the ESC. Please call for an appointment, 419-523-5951. If you have had them done recently (less than a year of applying) and copies are on file with ODE, we will accept a copy.
- Teaching License/Substitute Teaching License - We require a copy of your current teacher or substitute teacher license. If you hold a Bachelor's Degree and need to apply for a general substitute teaching license click here for instructions. You will need to create an OH/ID account if you do not have one and be required to upload your transcript in a pdf file to OH/ID. When prompted for a superintendent signature search for IRN #049304 Putnam County ESC. This will send the request to proceed with the license to the Putnam County Educational Service Center for our electronic signature. Once the ESC electronic signs the request, it goes back to ODE for processing of your license.
- Professional Code of Conduct - Please read this document. All substitute teachers are required to follow this code of conduct. The front page of our application requires a signature stating you have read and agree to follow this code of conduct. Failure to follow this code of conduct may result in immediate dismissal as a substitute teacher.
Substitute teachers returning from last year:
- Returning substitute teachers will receive an email in May from the Putnam County ESC. All forms are online and this information will be in your email. If you have questions, please call 419-523-5951 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teaching license must be current for the upcoming school year. To renew your license log in on your OH/ID account at ODE. When prompted for a signature of an organization, search for IRN #049304. This will send the license to the Putnam County Educational Service Center for our electronic signature.
- FBI background reports need updated every five years. Your OH/ID account will list the date of your last FBI report. Please call to make an appointment, if you need to have your FBI report updated.
Substitute teacher applications are approved by the Putnam County Educational Service Center Governing Board. The Board meets at 9:00 am the second Monday of each month.
Questions about substitute teaching can be directed to Ann Niese, at email@example.com or 419-523-5951 ext 3001.