The Parent Mentor Program is funded through a grant from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) provided to local Educational Service Centers. The mission of the program is to provide the necessary support and resources to families of children with disabilities and the professionals who serve them.
Here is a sample of some ways a Parent Mentor guides families through the Special Education process:
- Help families understand their rights and responsibilities,
- Attend the Individualized Educational Program (IEP) Meetings and other meetings at the request of families or staff.
- Listen to and support both family and educators on an individual basis,
- Provide information and community resources to families and schools,
- Host informational sessions, support/networking groups or training programs for families and educators,
- Engage community service agencies and other resources to support families and schools,
- Connect families, schools and community partners to benefit students with special needs.
- and so much more!
In Putnam County parents can contact their local parent mentor at firstname.lastname@example.org .